Thursday, March 17, 2011

Christmas Is Here - March Madness Tips Today - By Dan Wines

From time to time, I have a habit of jotting down some sing-songy scribbles prior to sporting events.  The Blueprint's Jeff and Lotis can attest to that from our years of debating sports.  On the dawn of the greatest sporting event in the country, I got the itch to do it again.  I'm certainly no great poet, and I'll never pretend to be, but a little light hearted fun never hurt anyone.  Also, I recognize that we've already experienced "the first four," but you'll have to pardon my apathy as I still consider today to be the beginning of the event we call March Madness.  Enough babbling, on to the poem:

Christmas for many will come in December
For me Christmas involves the clutch shots I remember
It's Bryce Drew for Valpo, it's Webber's timeout
March Madness is what my Christmas is about

You see, every March new teams get their chance
To bring their A game and compete in the dance
From the opening tip to the end of the game
They'll hope that the bracket advances their name

Cameras will pan to the kids in the stands
Nervously nibbling fingernails off their hands
Jim Nantz and Gus Johnson, and a bevy of others
Narrate the scene as new stars are discovered

Cinderallas will don their best fitting shoes
Hoping Goliath will stumble and lose
As brackets are busted, and big names go asunder
College basketball fans will watch on in wonder

Be it Jimmer, or Duke, or that Buckeye named Diebler
It's the first to six wins who's the trophy receiver
They'll be proving the worth of the work that it took
And placing their names in the history books

Be it the Irish, the Heels, or the boys from Purdue
Or perhaps Cinderella finds her shiny shoe
I'll be watching intently, enjoying the games
As teams move ahead when their foes are each tamed

The passion they play with is seldom repeated
Their tears hit the floor when their team's been defeated
It's love of the game, it's cutting down nets
It's rabid investment due to office pool bets

It's buzzer beaters and blowouts, removing all doubts
It's frenetic action this time is about
It signals the passage from winter to spring
It's thunderous dunks, jumpers from the wing

When that one lucky team beats their final opponent
Their highlights will play to One Shining Moment
A season completed, and a trophy to hoist
Postgame speeches to give while their fans all rejoice

These are the reasons it's my favorite time
My gifts come in buckets, alley oops, and great dimes
Call me crazy for calling March Madness my Christmas
But these moments in spring will always top my wish list

-------------
Enjoy the games everybody!

Follow ManCaveBP on Twitter

Man Cave Blueprint

Promote Your Page Too

No comments:

Post a Comment